Monday, November 19, 2012

Easiest and fastest Vegan Mac & "Cheese"...

I love love love mac & cheese.....after I went vegan, I thought I would never experience the yummy creamy texture of my homemade cheese sauce. I tried to duplicate it with Daiya Cheddar Shreds, non-dairy milk, flour, and (my) seasonings, but as much as I love Daiya shreds for so many other dishes, it just wasn't working for me in my "cheese" sauce. 
And then...(drum roll please)...Daiya announced they had a new vegan cheese product, "wedges". Of course, I couldn't wait to try them, and finally my local Whole Foods had them in stock! Yippee....
So, one day, I was craving mac & cheese, but had no non-dairy milk. Hmm, what to do? I decided to try a short cut, (who doesn't love a short cut!??). I had some of the new Daiya Cheddar Wedges, so after I cooked my pasta, I cut them up into little squares, threw them into the bowl with the hot pasta, stuck the bowl in the microwave, and...(another drum roll)...super creamy, perfectly melted mac & cheese...
So, just to be technical, here's the "recipe"...

Ingredients
 1 cup cooked pasta of your choice
Daiya dairy free wedge in either cheddar or jack style*
*(I started with cheddar, but now I use jack style-just a personal preference)
Cooked vegetable of your choice, (optional, but I usually throw in cooked mushrooms)
Whatever seasonings you prefer- (I just use black pepper)
 
Instructions
Cut up your Daiya cheese wedge of choice, (I'm using jack style)
Add to cooked pasta (in a microwave safe bowl)
Add your seasonings...
and your veggie(s)- mushrooms for me...
microwave for 30 secs to 1 minute, (depending on your microwave), until daiya is melted.
Take out, stir & enjoy!
Mmmmmmm....
Let me know what you think!
L

No comments: