Friday, November 9, 2012

Spinach & Mushroom Quesadillas

Ah, my first post! I'm a little nervous and kind of scared, so please, bear with me while we take on this journey together...
Spinach Mushroom & (vegan) Cheese Quesadillas!
I have to say, one of the best investments I've made since becoming vegan is a quesadilla maker. 
 It was fairly inexpensive and well worth it! (Plus it's red, my favorite color!)
You really can put anything in a quesadilla, but here are my ingredients-
Ezekiel tortillas
baby spinach, (Trader Joe's brand)
kalamata olives, (also TJ's)
sauteed baby bella mushrooms*
Daiya dairy free jack style (cheese) wedges. 
You can add any other veggies you like, (tomatoes, artichokes, broccoli, kale, cabbage, etc...)
*To be honest, it would take a while to saute the mushrooms, but after I return home from a Trader Joe's shopping trip, (where I get a package or two of the sliced "baby bellas"), I cook them right away and keep in the fridge. I dump them in a large frying pan, cover with water til boiling, then simmer until most of the water is gone. Then I add a few splashes of balsamic vinegar, some spices, (garlic powder & onion powder), finish cooking til all the liquid is gone. Then I have cooked mushrooms ready for the week and any recipe that I want to add them too! You can also used canned sliced mushrooms.
Onto the recipe....

Put your tortilla on the quesadilla maker, layer with spinach, then mushrooms, olives, a few slices of Daiya, any seasonings you like, another layer of spinach, then top with a tortilla, close the machine, plug it in, and cook til ready!
After it's done, I use a pizza cutter to slice it.
Then eat & enjoy!
If you have all the ingredients ready to go, you will be eating this within 10-15 minutes!
My quesadillas vary on what I've bought at the store and what I have on hand, this one and a mushroom, cabbage and Daiya cheddar shreds are my two faves.....
Please, tell me what you think of my first post! And let me know what ingredients you'd use.
Thanks!
L

1 comment:

Stylelinx said...

This is delicious! How do I know? Cuz you made it for me, that's how. Love this recipe. Love the blog.