Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sunday Night Nachos!

I love Sundays...I love relaxing and reading all the Sunday papers, and I love making a special treat to enjoy the calmness of Sunday night, before the craziness of the next week begins.....Sunday eve usually finds me relaxing on the couch with the NY Times crossword puzzle and a big plate of black bean nachos...They're quick, easy and total prep time is about 10 minutes!
What you'll need
  • I can of black beans*, drained and rinsed. (*you can use kidney beans if you like)
  • sliced black olives
  • Daiya cheddar shreds
  • Pomi strained tomatoes
  • chili powder
  • onion powder
  • garlic powder
  • iceberg lettuce
  • chips of choice, (I use Trader Joe's Flax Seed Veggie Chips)
  • *optional items- vegan sour cream, guacamole, or anything else you like on nachos
Drain and rinse the black beans and pour into a microwave safe bowl, (that has a lid). Add approx 1/2 cup of pomi strained tomatoes, 1/2 to 1 cup of Daiya shreds, and seasonings.
Mix together good!
Cover and microwave for approx 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, depending on your microwave.
While that's cooking, chop up your lettuce, and line the bottom of big dish, (I use a pyrex pie plate).
When the mixture is done,
pour over the lettuce, top with the sliced olives, (and your preferred toppings). I add the chips along the rim of the dish and keep the rest in a separate bowl for scooping. (This prevents chips on the bottom from getting too soggy to scoop), and I find that I eat less chips this way too.
Serve with vegan sour cream, guacamole, hot sauce, or whatever you prefer, and enjoy!


No comments: